Samstag, 21. Februar 2015

Finished!

I can't believe it, I honestly cannot chuffin' believe it!
I have finally reached the end of The Sisterhood of the Serpent, (working title). It's only taken me about 2 years!!!

However, that doesn't mean I can send it off because:
a.) I have to go through it all again and again and again, crossing the T's and dotting the I's.
b.) I'll probably have to make a million changes to the dialogue to make sure they're speaking consistently in character.
And c.) I'll have to pick up on all the continuity points which can sometimes derail the whole story.


However, to all intents it's finished.

In case you don't know the story behind the story, (and because this post will look a little thin if I don't tell you), my old publishers, Taylor Street, asked me to write something about the MGM Grand fire in Las Vegas in the 1980's. Their idea was that the reincarnation of the Grand, Bally's, which was built up out of the ashes of that fire, might then be interested in selling it as it would be set completely in their hotel. They wanted to make it into a Towering Inferno meets The Shining, which sounded brilliant at first glance.

However, it's hard to string a story along in one hotel room. You can only do so many introspective character reminisces and I was really starting to find it hard going. In fact I went for months simply not writing, ignoring it like a guilty secret. Taylor would write to me, asking how it's coming and I'd be, "Well I'm working on a new idea right now" or, "I hurt my hand and I can't type at the moment" etc etc, I'm sure you get the idea.

So, to move things along in the story inspiration department, and to give me something extra to play with, (ooer!), I introduced a runaway from a cult and an army of Leviathan followers called the Nagani who reside at the gates of Hell; and who certainly spice up the proceedings to say the least.

So now I'm at the end. It's only 58000 words right now but will definitely grow as I thicken out situations, memories, character traits and iron out the continuity hiccups.

It's a good feeling.

As you were.
Reggie.

Keine Kommentare: